Christ Ministered to All

Christ Ministered to All

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Families are Forever

This past week, we stopped by to visit a woman from church who we hadn't seen in a while. She welcomed us in and immediately gave us the story of what has been going on in her life the past few weeks. She told us about her elderly father and all the health problems he has been experiencing. He has been in and out of the hospital, suffering from multiple very severe illnesses that cannot currently be treated without causing other health issues. Basically, she told us, it is not looking good and he is likely to pass on soon. As she talked, I felt her sadness, her despair, and her pain. But, I also felt a quiet and subtle strength. Though she cried and mourned, I could tell that she had hope for her father. She knew that he would be alright, and that knowledge came because of her faith in her Heavenly Father and her Savior, Jesus Christ. She powerfully testified of her knowledge that her father would be happy and that he would be reunited with his wife, siblings, parents, and other family members soon. This experience illustrates to me the eternal principle that our families can be united and bonded together forever because of Jesus Christ. Because of His gospel and teachings, we can not only be forgiven, but we can be perfected. We can prepare to live in the presence of our Heavenly Father, and we can help our friends and family to get there too. There is a scripture in Alma 34:32 on page 295 of the Book of Mormon that reads: "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." To me, this means that our purpose here on Earth is to do all that we can to be ready to return to God. Jesus Christ came to the Earth to make it possible for us to return to the Father, and as we follow His teachings and commandments, we can be made worthy to live in God's presence. I am so grateful to know that my family can be together forever. I love my family and I don't know what I would do without them in my life. I testify that God intended our families to be together not just until death, but for all of eternity. To learn more about how, read here: http://www.mormon.org/values/family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment of your thoughts on this experience or principle of the gospel!